Founder, President & CEO
A visionary, award-winning business leader.
LaJuanna Russell is driven by her deeply held belief in the tremendous value of the human spirit. She dedicates her energy and passion for business not only to growing her own company but also to reaching out, around, and behind her – to extend a helping hand so that others will succeed.
Ms. Russell founded Business Management Associates, Inc. (BMA), a business process and human capital management firm, after a decade of experience in the IT consulting industry. As President and CEO, she has grown her Alexandria, VA, company from a $500 investment in 2005 to a flourishing federal, state, and local government contracting firm with more than 100 employees and $10 million in yearly revenue. Today, her smart, dedicated staff members integrate people and process to transform client organizations and meet BMA’s vision – Love thy work, Love thy customer, Love thy system®.
Ms. Russell focuses on human capital in her community, too, giving her time freely so that others may prosper. She mentors young African-American women business owners, sharing her passion for enterprise, and actively supports Year Up, an organization empowering low-income youth to follow professional careers. Ms. Russell serves on the City of Alexandria Commission for Employment (ACE) whose mandate is to develop a consistent, compelling message and increase visibility for the city’s Workforce Development Center (WDC). We connect the local business community with individuals in search of employment.
Ms. Russell serves as Chair of the Board of the boards of Small Business Majority, a national organization that advocates for small business issues at the federal, state, and local government levels.
Ms. Russell’s keen intelligence and creative approach to consensus building have made her much in demand for speaking engagements. In January of this year she was invited to testify before Congress and spoke on, “Improving Small Business Input on Federal Regulations: Ideas for Congress and a New Administration.”
- Emerge VA – Ms. Russell is proud to have been selected as one of 29 Democratic women for the EMERGE Virginia 2018 cohort. Emerge Virginia is the premier training program for Democratic women. They inspire women to run and then hone their skills to win.
- The Leadership Foundry – The Leadership Foundry prepares women to serve on corporate boards in the Washington, DC area. Structured as a nine-month program, it includes an intensive board training session in cooperation with the National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD).
- Commissioner – Alexandria Commission for Employment
- Board Chair – The Small Business Majority
- Advisory Board Member – The George Washington University School of Business
- Women Impacting Public Policy
- Alexandria Living Wage Committee
- Alexandria Chamber, Government Relations Committee
- Goldman Sachs 10K Small Business Alum
Business Awards and Recognition
- 2018 CRMSDC Top 100 MBE winner
- 2018 Inc 5000 List of Fastest Growing Companies
- 2018 Alexandria Chamber Best in Business – Finalist
- 2017 Recognize DC Visionary Government Contractor
- 2017 Stevie Bronze award for Minority Business of the Year
- 2017 Inc 5000 List of Fastest Growing Companies
- 2017 Future 50 Award Winner
- 2016 Inc. 5000 List of Fastest Growing Companies
- 2016 Smart CEO GovStar Finalist
- 2015 Inc. 5000 List of Fastest Growing Companies
- 2015 Smart CEO Govstar Finalist
- 2015 Smart CEO Brava Award
- 2015 Zeta Phi Beta Woman of the Year
- 2015 Scholar for the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses Program
- 2012 Smart CEO Best Run Companies List
- 2008 Stevie Awards for Women in Business – Best Entrepreneur
Speaking Engagements, Panels and Appearances
- Panelist – DISA Reverse Industry Day, December 6, 2017
- Entrepreneur Representative – National Governor’s Association Roundtable for Inclusive Entrepreneurship, December 1, 2017
- Panelist – ChallengeHER – Opportunities for Women in Federal Contracting, sponsored by the Department of Treasury and Women Impacting Public Policy, October 19, 2017
- Moderator – Small Business Leadership Summit, Women’s Entrepreneurship Roundtable, September 2017
- Professional Services Council 2018 Leadership Summit Planning Committee
- Radio Appearance – Executive Leaders Radio, August 10, 2017
- Congressional Testimony – United States Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, “Improving Small Business Input on Federal Regulations: Ideas for Congress and a New Administration,” January 19, 2017
- Television – Profile, Women’s Business Report, WJLA-TV (Me.TV), February 2017
- Panelist – IRS Reverse Industry Day, April 19, 2017
- Panelist – Center for American Progress, Entrepreneurship for All, October 13, 2017
- Moderator – Small Business Leadership Summit, Minority Business Entrepreneurship Roundtable and Women’s Entrepreneurship Roundtable, May 8–11, 2016
- Seminar – “Can We Talk: Information Disclosure During the Acquisition Process,” Federal Acquisitions Institute (FAI), October 8, 2016. https://www.fai.gov/media_library/items/show/123
- Federal government viewing link: https://faitas.army.mil/Faitas/External/CourseCatalog/CourseCatalog?TeachingSchoolName=FAI#FCL-A-0033 (FAI Course Catalog FCL-A-0033)
- Congressional Speech – Government shutdown and impact on small business owners, Senate Democrats news conference, October 13, 2013. Link: https://www.c-span.org/video/?315437-1/government-shutdown-small-business-owners
- Accelerated M.B.A. in International Business and Finance, George Washington University
- B.A. in Communication Studies/Public Relations, Virginia Tech
- Six Sigma Green Belt Certified